Sunday, November 14, 2010

Autumn Squash Soup


With My CSA- I feel like I can barely keep up with all of the vegetables I am getting each week! 
My recent solution: Soup. Soups are a great way to use up a variety of veggies, and make something warm and delicious. I love the fact that soups are so diverse and you can put essentially anything in them and get a some wonderful product. 
Here is my most recent creation, which came out quite well! 
I'll have to add a picture later.

Autumn Squash Soup

1- medium Onion – finely chopped
~ 1 tb Olive oil
1 tb butter
1 clove Garlic – minced
1- Butternut Squash
1- Acorn Squash
2- Sweet Potato
1 head Green Cabbage
2- Apples (I used macintosh)
1 quart Vegetable broth
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Sage
Pepper
Salt if desired
2 cups Low fat milk


* Peel and chop all ingredients

* In a large pot, simmer onions, garlic, olive oil, butter and a splash of water for about 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.

* Add in all other chopped vegetables and apples, and vegetable broth, and spices. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring periodically.

* Once ingredients are soft, use an immersion blender (or portion out and use a regular blender or food processor) to blend ingredients until pureed.

* mix in enough milk until desired thickness. Dry white wine could also be added if desired (~1/2- 1 cup).


Notes:
 I just used whatever vegetables I had on hand, I’m sure any yellowish squash/ pumpkin would be good.  I used fresh, but canned would work fine too. 
Other recipes used white potatoes… I thought the sweet potatoes kept nicely with the color scheme, and I enjoy sweet things.

 I do not think the cabbage did anything for taste- I just had it on hand and wanted to use it, but nice way to sneak in a green vegetable and add some more fiber and nutrients J  

This made a very large portion of soup, you may wish to scale down.

1 comment:

  1. Awww--I do miss the CSA dearly! Glad to hear you are finding ways to use all those veggies, though.

    ReplyDelete