Sunday, November 27, 2011

Semi-Homemade

I went to Trader Joe’s today and tried their sample of Schezuan beef and broccoli  - it was so delicious (And I was rather hungry) so I bought a bag.
The nutrition facts were less than desirable with 430 calories a serving, 13 grams of fat, 1400 mg sodium, and sugar being one of the main ingredients. But, alas, I always like to believe in “everything in moderation”  - so I decided I could use it as part of a dinner entrée.
I marinated a block of extra firm tofu in
·      Trader Joe’s Low sodium Soyaki sauce (~2 tablespoons)
·      1 Tablespoon lime juice
·      sprinkle of ginger
In the microwave I cooked up
·      1 bag of frozen mixed oriental vegetables
·      4 medium carrots, chopped (I bought a 5 pound bag of carrots hence why every recipe I will be posting is likely heavy on the carrots)
After the tofu marinated for about an hour, I sautéed it in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
Next, I prepared the TJ’s Schezuan beef and broccoli, per its cooking instructions, sautéing the beef in the frying pan, and microwaving the broccoli.
I like my veggies a little bit crispier so I added those to the frying pan after microwaving as well.
 
I then combined all ingredients in a pan and mixed in the Schezuan sauce
I also made some brown rice on the side.  And Tada!:
 
The brown rice adds in a whole grain, which is a great source of fiber, and provides more vitamins and minerals.
The tofu is a good source of plant protein, is lower in fat than many animal proteins (Such as the beef) and contains phytoestrogens which have been linked (when consumed in moderation) to decreased risk of cancer.
The vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants. They are also low in calories and a good source of fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment