I've had some extra potatoes around and been craving potato soup, so I decided to try one out! I tried to make it some-what healthier, but this still isn't a super healthy recipe (considering the bacon and cream) feel free to substitute all skim milk or a lean turkey bacon.
It does make a very filling and delicious soup.
Baked Potato Soup:
- 4 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- pinch salt or salt substitute
- ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes, baked (I peeled half of them)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 1/8 cup hot sauce (I used Franks)
- Optional: extra bacon, shredded cheese, chives for topping
- In a large pot (or crock pot) cook chopped bacon. Remove Bacon and save for later, leave bacon grease in pot.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add basil, pepper, salt and flour.
- Add in chicken broth slowly and bring to a boil.
- Add in potatoes, milk, half and half, hot sauce, and bacon. Simmer, but do not boil.
- Using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor puree as much of the soup as you would like. If you left the peels of the potatoes on, you probably want to blenderize those as much as possible.
Serve with extra bacon, chives and cheese, if desired.