Health experts agree we need at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day for children and adults.
But you are busy! - We get it.
Did you know the 60 minutes does not have to all be at once? You get the same benefits of exercise even if you break up the 60 minutes into 4- 15 minute sessions, 6- 10 minute sessions or even 20- 5 minute sessions!
Here are some tips for fitting in fitness into your day:
· Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
· Take breaks and walk around at least 5 minutes for every hour of sitting.
· Go to the bathroom on another floor.
· Walk to see a colleague rather than phoning or emailing
· Parking off site somewhere with a shuttle? Walk, don’t wait for the shuttle.
· Walk or bike to errands that are a mile or less away,
· Park your car further away. Leave close spots for the the elderly, disabled, and mothers with small children. Get in some extra steps while being considerate.
· On the phone? Get up and walk around.
· Trade out your desk chair for a stability ball, you will engage your core, and improve posture.
· Watching TV? Use commercial breaks to do squats, lunges, pushups, sit ups or jog in place.
· Keep a light weight or resistance band on your desk or somewhere convenient, do a few moves for three minutes every hour.
· Stuck in line? Do calf raises, or mini side lunges.
· Waiting for a train or bus? Stuck on hold? Pace back and forth, do a little dance.
· Do a wall sit, leg raise, or V step while brushing you teeth.
· Meet up with friends for a walk or workout date instead of going out the eat.
· Have a pooch? Take him/ her for a walk! Or offer to walk a neighbors dog – everyone will appreciate it.
How do you like to fit in fitness into your day?