Friday, February 10, 2012

Wedding Cupcake Trial: Part 6: Funfetti Cupcake

Wedding Cupcake Trial: Part 6: Funfetti Cupcake 

This is the only cupcake to date that was note first inspired by Pinterest. 
When I first asked Jordan what kind of cupcakes he wanted for the wedding, his first response, in all seriousness, was Funfetti. In general, funfetti is not the first kind of cake I think of when I think of wedding cakes, but it is his wedding too after all - so if he wants a funfetti cupcake- he will get a funfetti cupcake gosh darn it! 

It seemed a little too much like cheating to straight up use a box of Funfetti cake mix and funfetti frosting though, so I decided to try to be a bit more creative.  I used the base of the Wedding White Cupcakes and add in nonpareils (I wanted to use regular sprinkles, but they were no where to be found in the grocery store.) 

For the frosting I also tried another version of the "Best Buttercream

1 cup unsalted butter, softened  
1 cup white granulated sugar
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup milk (I used Silk Light Soymilk)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/2 tablespoon sprinkles or nonpareils 
  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, mix flour and milk stirring constantly until batter becomes thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  2. In a large bowl place butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. This can take a long time (10-15 minutes) to get the granulated sugar fluffy but it is worth it. If you have a stand mixer- this would be an ideal time to use it. 
  3. Add cooled flour/ milk mixture to butter and sugar, and beat. 
  4. Add in extracts and some sprinkles or nonpareils and beat until combined. 
  5. Refrigerate for about 1/2 an hour until slightly thickened. 
  6. Pipe or spread onto completely cooled cupcakes. Add any other decorations (I added some more nonpareils on top). 





Conclusion: 

  • As you can see in the interior picture above - there were some holes and tunnels in the cake. This can be a result of over mixing. Also adding the dry ingredients to wet ingredients slowly can help prevent this as well.
  • I also made these at the same time as the wedding white cupcakes where I admitted to undercooking them, so these also came out a bit undercooked. 
  • Overall I did really like the taste, and the texture likely would have been good if they were not undercooked. 
  • Nonetheless-- I think the box of funfetti cake would still win in this situation unfortunately. 
    • Boxed cake 1 - Jamie 0 



No comments:

Post a Comment