Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wedding Cupcake Trial: Part 3: Wedding White

Wedding Cupcake Trial: Part 3: Wedding White Cupcakes


Inspiration Picture via Pinterest and Recipegirl.com. Recipe adapted from Recipegirl.com. 




I made a half batch of these-  but below to keep it simple is the amounts for a full batch (about 36 cupcakes)


White Wedding Cupcakes 


1 box white cake mix ( I used Pillsbury Super Moist White Cake Mix) 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fat free (0%) Chobani 
4 large egg whites
  1. Preheat oven to 325* F 
  2. Prepared Cupcake pan and liners (about 36) 
  3. Mix Cake mix, flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well blended. 
  4. Fill cupcake liners ~1/2- 3/4 of the way full. 
  5. Place in oven and bake 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 
  6. Remove from oven and cool completely. 


For the Frosting I did a buttercream somewhat based on "The Best Buttercream Recipe" - which I keep trying different ways to discover the truly BEST Buttercream. 


1 cup unsalted butter, softened  - divided
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup milk (I used Silk Light Soymilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  (or whatever other kind you want- I also tried almond extract)
  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, place 1 Tablespoon of butter with flour and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Add in milk slowly, stirring constantly until batter becomes thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  2. In a large bowl place the rest of the butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. This can take a long time (10-15 minutes) to get the granulated sugar fluffy but it is worth it. If you have a stand mixer- this would be an ideal time to use it. 
  3. Add cooled flour/ milk/ butter mixture to butter and sugar, and beat. 
  4. Add in extract and beat until combined. 
  5. Refrigerate for about 1/2 an hour until slightly thickened. 
  6. Pipe or spread onto completely cooled cupcakes. Add any other decorations (I added colored sugar below). 

 For the version I put on this cupcake I added a bit more butter and a little bit less sugar-- the result came out almost like whipped cream! It was soo fluffy. I think next time I will follow the recipe I wrote above a bit closer since I like my frosting sweeter.










The Results:

  • The cake had great flavor and was super moist.
  •  I think I slightly undercooked them, so they were a bit to gummy in the middle so be sure to double check the doneness.
  •  The frosting was great! Like I said above- depending on your taste you may want to tweek the amounts of butter and sugars to get it sweeter or fluffier.

Photography by Jordan Garry unless otherwise stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment