Wedding Cupcake Trial: Part 2! Peanut butter cup cupcakes
I made a whole batch of these ones.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes
(Makes about 12 Cupcakes)
- 1 box (18 oz.) chocolate cake mix -- I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 1 cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt -- I used 0% Chobani
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (12 oz bag) Reese’s miniature peanut butter cups, unwrapped
- 1 cup butter, softened
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 cups Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Tablespoons milk, -- I used Silk Light Original
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Prepare cupcake pan with cupcake liners (About 12)
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, greek yogurt, water and eggs. Beat on medium speed, scraping side of bowl periodically.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake pans, filling about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way filled.
- Place unwrapped Reese's cup into cupcake batter so that about 1/2 of it is sticking out of the batter. The peanut butter cup will continue to sink while cooking, if you push it too far down it will stick to the bottom of the cupcake liner and make it hard to eat.
- Place cupcake pan into preheated oven and bake for 18 minutes or until cupcake springs back when touched lightly.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- In a medium to large bowl beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add sugar and milk in 3 segments, beating in between and scraping down the sides. Add more milk if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
* These cupcakes got rave reviews!
* Nice and moist, with a great crumb.
* Great flavor. I think the Dark Chocolate cake really helped!
* The only issue with these was some I pushed the Reese's Peanut Butter cup in too far, thus it stuck to the cupcake liner - so make sure to have it sticking out at least 1/2 way before baking!
* I think these will definitely be appearing at the wedding - unless I get sick of making cupcakes by then ;)
* Photography by Jordan Garry (other than the first picture attributed to RealMomKitchen.com)