Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The wedding down-low

As I have mentioned, I am tentatively planning for my upcoming wedding this September.  I have never been the type of girl to dream about her wedding. In fact, I always had planned to elope and then maybe have a party afterwards.


My good friend, Jessica, spent some time doing wedding photography and videography and shared her new found insight that weddings are rarely actually about the couple as much as they are about the families. No matter how many times people keep saying "It's YOUR wedding" -- that only seems to mean so much.


My parents were very much in support of my elopement plan. My father even offered to by me a ladder. Jordan's parents, on the other hand, namely his mother, wouldn't hear of such a thing. And, as it turns out, Jordan appears to be more of the one who also wants a big wedding. So, alas, here we go!


The planning process is turning out to be rather stressful. In the beginning it was a lot of fun, especially due to Pinterest. I now have upwards of 4 Pin Boards dedicated to wedding stuff.




However, once it came to actually taking into account other people's opinions it became a lot hard.
Again, people kept making the statement  "It's YOUR wedding" (I can't tell you how many times I have heard that in the past few months!) But it never felt like it really was since many times my opinions seemed to keep being swept to the wayside.


One day I was discussing the wedding planning with my mother and her boyfriend (Tom) and Tom said, "It's not all about you." 


For some reason that is the only statement that has really stuck out to me in this whole planning process.   I think that is partially since, in general, we are taught to not be selfish and that the world doesn't revolve around us. Therefore these "special days" that are really supposed to be about a loving union between two people somehow become a way to please everyone else.


I developed a conundrum between being guiltless  and trying to appease everyone else.


Since, for the most part, I do not have clear ideas about what I want it has been easier to go towards the route of appeasing, but at the same time I am trying to pick the things that are important to me and putting my foot down.


Anyway, I am sure I will continue to be wishy washy between the two throughout this process - so bear with me!


In the meantime, my current plan is to make my own cupcakes for the wedding versus paying a baker (we shall see how this goes!) So keep an eye out for trial cupcake recipes.
A note of warning- I will try to be doing as little improving as possible with the recipes to ensure a good taste so they will likely not be as healthy as some of my other recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment