Thursday, September 27, 2012

Apple-Carrot Soup

Apple picking inspired a lot of desserts- but I felt I should also make something a bit more healthy out of the apples - so I found a recipe for apple carrot soup and adapted it.
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 4 medium Golden Delicious apples - roughly peeled and chopped (I used Junga-golds -- my soup was really sweet-you could probably cut this down to 3 apples.)
  • 2 pound(s) carrots, peeled and chopped  (I cheated and used a bag of frozen carrot coins)
  • 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and chopped  (Used a bag of frozen)
  • 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth  (This is used from scratch broth I made)
  • 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) peeled and grated fresh ginger (I admit I just used ground)
  • salt and pepper to taste (I used fresh cracker black pepper and NuSalt)
  • Fresh chives for garnish
1. Melt butter or margarine in a dutch oven over medium - high heat.
2. Add in onions and cook until soft (About 10 minutes).
3. Add in apples, carrots, squash, broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

  5. Once Carrots and squash are tender, use an emersion blender to blend until smooth.




    Serve with fresh chives for a garnish. Bon appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment