Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Swedish Apple Pie


As promised.. the apple recipes begin!

I made 2 apple crisps the first day back from the orchard but was afraid to try an apple pie, as my one experience with making pie dough went rather poorly. I was telling this to my friend Bruce when he busted out a delicious apple dessert (we were at his apartment, and unbeknownst to myself, he had also just gone apple picking.) Turns out he had a recipe for an easy-breezy apple pie! So, I stole it.

Swedish Apple Pie: 

Ingredients:
About 4 Medium/large apples – peeled, cored and sliced.
1-2 TB cinnamon sugar (aka ground cinnamon and sugar) \
¾ cup butter
1 cup flour (I used brown rice flour, can also use all purpose)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ cup chopped nuts (optional) (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 350*



    This was my first layer of apples
  1. Fill pie dish about 2/3 of the way full with apple slices.  
  2. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon sugar.  (I actually forgot this step!)
  3. In a small pan melt ¾ cup butter.  Remove from heat.  
  4. Add to butter the flour, sugar, egg and nuts.  Mix with a spoon until blended. 
  5. Pour over apple slices.
  6. The batter will sort of seep in between the apple slices, but you can give it a hand by squishing it in too for a more uniformed apple to crust ratio.
  7. Bake until golden brown (About 30 minutes).

Mine looks black rather than golden brown because half way through I realized I forgot the cinnamon sugar step and I sprinkled cinnamon on top! Doesn't look to pretty- but still delicious.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment