Thursday, April 2, 2009

Snobby Joes!

I wish it were Monday already.
I suppose thats not something you hear everyday, but that will be the first time in a week in which I get to "sleep in" past 6 am. This is a work weekend for me, which means working over 30 hours in 3 days. I am already so tired. I don't mind getting up early, if only my neighbors would let me get to sleep before 3 am, then I would be much less grumpy about it!

Today started at 6, with some last minute studying, over a bowl of oats, it was basically the same as yesterday, but not quite so pretty this morning.
1/2 cup oats
1/2 medium banana
1 tb peanut butter
about 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
vanilla extract
7 butterscotch chips

My Dev. Psyc Test went so-so. It was again harder than expected, despite my expecting it to be hard and studying a lot.

Lunch was the last of the kale (about 4 big leaves), about 1/2 cup cooked fresh spinach, some roasted eggplant, zucchini, and peppers, and some left over brown rice and lentils and rotini, and of course, hot sauce, the cure all to any bland meal.


And about a cup of grapes
After doing a Student Food Run I had an apple on the run, before another appointment:
And afterwards a honey tangerine. Check out my awesome walking and photographing skills.


Unfortunetaly the fruit was just not filling me up, so I snacked on a Trader Joes Chocolate Chip Chewy Bar. It was very tasty, and chocolatey.


I also enjoyed some more Canadian Maple tea with soymilk, and a caramel calcium chew.



I decided to skip Public Health tonight, I'm a slacker, what can I say.
So instead, I made Snobby Joes! from the Veganonicom Cookbook. I halved the recipe and then neglicted to actually measure anything, so it was roughly on the idea it consisted of:
1/2 cup uncooked lentils
1/2 onion
1/2 large green pepper
tb olive oil
1 clove garlic
oregano
cayenne pepper (book said chili powder, but I don't have that)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
mustard
maple syrup

Bring lentils to a boil in 2 cups of water, and then turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes.
In a frying pan, cook the onion and pepper in olive oil until softened. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.

Once the lentils are done cooking add them to the onions and peppers, then add spices.
Add Tomato sauce and paste (my sauce had been mixed with my roasted peppers so I had some additional roasted red peppers in the mix).
Add mustard and maple syrup to taste.

the finished product:
And a close up served on TJs whole wheat bread:


I probably had about a cup of snobby joe mix, on 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and a half cup of cooked spinach on the side (its sad how much spinach shrinks up when its cooked.) I wound up adding some hot sauce to the sandwich to give it a little more zing, but over all it was very good!

I may have had another half of a TJs Chocolate granola bar after dinner as well... but no need to be repetitive with pictures. I have a chocolate addiction.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm....i may need to try those calcium chews, as i have not been getting enough calcium. how are they? do you like them? any particular reason why you chose those vs. others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No real reason, CVS brand is cheaper than Viactiv :)
    I like caramel better than chocolate- though I gave one to my friend who claimed the caramel tastes like coffee. But i like coffee too. They are good for a sweet craving- though i then tend to eat a couple at a time hmmmm

    ReplyDelete