Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Produce Galore!

I made the mistake of drinking coffee last night at 6 pm, before my counseling test. I generally do not do that.
I was up until 3 am. Way past my bed time. Hence, I had trouble waking up with morning and had no time for breakfast. Since then I have been all screwed up.
I had Developmental Psyc from 9:30 to 11, then I stopped by Shaws- because thats the time when there is the best selection of discounted produce. I was so mad I didn't bring my camera- the selection was AMAZING!
I loaded up on produce- probably more than necessary- but I'm sure it won't go to waste.
I got:
Some pretty Strawberries for $ 1.12


3 pounds of apples for under $ 2 and some grapes for $ 1.26

And Eggplant and 2 peppers for $1.57 and another eggplant and 3 little zucchini for 1.30, and some Kale, Broccoli, and a red pepper for $ 0.80

And some romaine lettuce:
And all together (sans grapes- they just did not look pretty in their plastic bag and ruined the picture): All for $9. Not too shabby.



Since the cheap produce is usually on its last leg of life, I just cooked most of it right away. I Seasoned an eggplant and a zucchini with black pepper, Garlic and Onion Spice, Thyme and Olive oil, and popped it in the oven:

The other eggplant, red peppers, and zucchini just went in with a little olive oil and water:

In the process of cleaning and prepping my new produce, I probably consumed about 2 cups of grapes. I didn't take a picture so here's a stand in:

*http://www.buycostumes.com/Purple-Grapes-Adult-Costume/17896/ProductDetail.aspx*
I figured I better site that stolen photo after reading the drama on the BUslowfood blog! http://slowfoodbu.blogspot.com/2009/03/march-happenings.html
I also had a small apple:

For Lunch I had some Kale, Roasted Eggplant, Peppers and Zucchini, a bit of brown rice and lentils, topped with hot sauce.

As per usual, as soon as eating real food, I had a sugar craving. Since I skipped breakfast I thought it was best to consume it in semi healthy form while getting in a whole grain by making a small bowl of oatmeal:
1/4 cup oats
10 craisins
10 butter scotch chips
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tb peanut butter
1/2 banana
water


Of course that didn't cure it
so I had the other half of the banana, with almond butter and some chocolate chips, and a couple cups of English Toffee Dessert tea with soymilk.




Dinner was some more kale, with eggplant, zucchini, tomato sauce and about 1/2 cup whole wheat rotini and a couple shreds of Veggie Shreds Vegan Cheese.


Finally after dinner dessert, a light and fit yogurt with some Trader Joes high fiber cereal:


Clearly skipping breakfast did not save me any calories! They were just all squished into one half of the day instead, which in fact just slows down your metabolism and is more likely to cause weight gain, which is one reason I generally try to spread my food out throughout the day.

I'm off to study for my next test, which is on Thursday. Happy Produce Shopping!

2 comments:

  1. I have never purchased produce from the reduced section of shaws-maybe I'll have to try! do you frequent the fenway or allston one? hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. allston! its very hit or miss... best luck is usually if you can go at a really odd time of day.
    usually its not the best quality- but pretty good- and i'm presuming you go through produce as fast as I do- so I'm sure it wouldn't last long enough in the fridge to matter :)
    hope your tests went well yesterday!

    ReplyDelete