Monday, November 9, 2009

After a While

"Yield to the present Moment"




This post is somewhat of an extension of yesterdays, I guess I am just feeling rather philosophical lately.

I want to share one of my favorite poems, which is unrelated to food I guess, but my blog is called LIVE and eat abundantly, no? So in essence I can tie any thing in!

After a While

After a while, you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open,
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans,
And futures have a way of falling down in midflight
And after a while, you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn...
With every goodbye, you learn.

by Veronica A. Shoffstall


I think it most obviously applies to relationships, but really it is about life in general. Things fail and fall apart, life does not turn out the way you expect. Friends, family, significant others, and even strangers disappoint you on a day to day basis. But at the same time, people and life is out there exceeding expectations, surprising and inspiring you.


I have given up on the concept of "life plan," and believe more in a "rough draft of a life outline." I think you definitely should figure out what you want in life, and develop some form of plan of action to get towards those goals, but its not a hard and fast.

I am a firm believer in the Charles Swindoll statement (Maybe not the exact numbers but you get it...):

"Life is 10% of what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it."

and I will leave you with that.

Keep on living each day abundantly :)

1 comment:

  1. you're amazing, Jamie! you always give great advice, you're supportive, you're a wonderful person, and you're great to talk to!

    i agree that life does not always turn out the way you expect, and while certain things/people may disappiont you at times, they can and will exceed your expectations, too.

    i keep on thinking that I know what to expect/what I want to do with my life, but then I constantly learn new things and different things happen to me that completely change my perspective. you just have to learn to roll with the punches...and appreciate/learn from each new experience! at some point, things will work out. until then, just appreciate each and every day as much as you can. :)

    ReplyDelete