Friday, November 20, 2009

If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life.....

Being obsessed with food, I have often pondered the question, if I had to eat one food for the rest of my life, what would it be?

My answer: Salad. Ok, I know, it's kind of cheating since salad by definition is a combination of many foods, but I figure in order to get a nutritionally sound diet in you need something that will give you a nice combination of foods. Afterall, if someone said they would eat cheeseburgers for the rest of their life, they are still getting bread, meat, cheese, and possibly condiments and some veggies so I think salad should count.


I just love the diversity of them. You can basically throw anything together and call it salad. What I do not like (much) is those "side salads" you get at restaurants that generally include: iceberg lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion. Iceberg lettuce is just so un-fulfilling, I hate raw onion, and tomato and cucumber are just kind of meh in my opinion.

Not to toot my own horn, but I make pretty awesome salads. I think its partially due to the fact that I mix all of my foods together in general, so basically salad making is what I do with everything else, it is just more socially acceptable.

Tonight's salad began with a bed of baby spinach


and Trader Joe's broccoli slaw.


I then added in my left overs from yesterday, including the yuca, peppers, broccoli and tofu. I also had a little bit of random mashed sweet potato.


I'm not usually a big olive person, but today at the grocery store these deli style olives were tempting me, so I decided to splurge on them. The verdict: there is a reason I'm not much of an olive person, but, they're not terrible. And they were one more thing to add to the salad!


I also usually do not bother with salad dressing since I add so many wet ingredients, and then I usually just add some vinegar if it needs something else, but another impulse buy occurred today, so I threw it on too:
I also added in: kidney beans, raisins, pumpkin seeds, a bit of rice vinegar, and salsa. Mix it all together and finished product:

Sookie likes salad too!



So, What would your one food be??

1 comment:

  1. yum, your salad looks delicious! i love salads! and nice shot of Sookie. she is cute!

    on first instinct i would say my one food would be carrots. but, i agree that a combination food would probably be more reasonable and balanced. after eating so many carrots lately (i splurged at the farmers market tuesday...next week is the last week of the farmers markets!), i think my fiber intake has gone through the roof and that my digestive system still hasn't forgiven me yet lol...

    ReplyDelete