I adapted one of the recipes to fit the ingredients I had.
- 1 whole chicken (5 pounds)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons unstalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 1 tsp freshly ground coriander
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tsp NuSalt
- 1 cup white wine (I kept it classy with Charles Shaw)
2. Clean the chicken, remove giblets/ neck and set aside (I just froze mine for another day.) Dry well.
3. Place Chicken in a oven safe pot/ dutch oven.
4. In a seperate pot/ cup boil 1 cup of water, add in raisins and let soak.
5. Zest lime over chicken, and squeeze lime juice over chicken.
6. combine all spices, butter, and soaked raisins in a bowl.
7. Using your (clean) hands rub the spices/raisin mixture all over the chicken, including under the skin.
9. After 15 minutes, pour ~ 1 cup white wine over the chicken, continue roasting for about 1.5 hours or until internal temperature is 165*F.
As a side I roasted up some mixed vegetables/ fruit including:
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red apple
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- splash of white wine
- Black pepper
No fancy or exciting prep, just chopped, put in a baking dish and roasted along with the chicken.
I also had a lot of weird looking carrots from the garden so I chopped those up and roasted them as well with just some olive oil, salt and pepper.
Here are some of my weird garden carrots (with a cheery tomato for size comparison)
Looks like legs that have to pee!
Had a few 'baby' carrots in there