Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thai Shrimp Stir Fry





As part of our "Hurricane Sandy Preparation" we decided to make some kind of food that we could eat even if the power went out... and then we failed miserably at that and decided to make a pasta dish instead, which I guess could be eaten cold, but it was not exactly what we had in mind originally. 

Thai Shrimp Stir Fry

Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 box angel hair (I used Barilla Plus) 
  • 1 pound frozen or fresh shrimp 
  •  2 Tablespoons peanut oil 
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds 
  •  2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 
  • 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter 
  • 1 teaspoon grated ginger (I only had dried, fresh would likely be better.) 
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil 
  • 1 bag frozen vegetables (I used a 2 pound bag of mixed green beans, corn, peas and some spinach), defrosted
  • 1 can mushrooms 
  • 2 jalapenos, diced  
  • 1/4 cup crushed peanuts


1. Cook pasta according to directions and drain. Steam shrimp in a separate pot.
2. While pasta and shrimp are cooking, in a wok or skillet heat peanut oil. 
3. Add in onion, garlic, and sesame seeds and cook for about 2 minutes. 
4. Add in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and peanut butter. Stir well over heat until peanut butter starts to blend/ melt. 
5. Add in vegetables (whatever ones you choose to use), mushrooms, jalapenos and spices (ginger, basil, red pepper). Stir well. 
6. Add cooked and drained pasta and shrimp. Mix well.
7. Serve topped with crushed peanuts.

I usually do not like shrimp, but I found this quite tasty. 

As usual, the children need a cameo.


1 comment:

  1. I'm looking for a Recipes For Stir Fry that I can prepare for our dinner. I'm looking for the recipe that is so easy to prepare, delicious and my family will love. I think this is the dish that I'm looking for, I will save this recipe and I will try this one. Thank you!.

    ReplyDelete